A couple of years ago, a teacher talked in our Sunday School class about how he affirmed his love to his children.
Each night as they were going to bed he would ask them “Does Daddy love you in the morning?” and then he would answer “yes, daddy loves you in the morning.” Does Daddy love you at play time?” “yes, daddy loves you at play time.” He would continue through different events of the day, and at the end he would say “Does Daddy love you all the time?” “yes, daddy loves you all the time.”
Well, I did that with Isabella, and have been doing it with Zach. A couple of nights ago, I asked him, “Does Mommy love you in the morning?” and he actually responded “oh, yes.” I walked through different things during the day, including do I love him when he dumps his food on the floor. He paused at that one, and then said “oh, yes.” It was delightful because I didn’t know he had gotten it, and he understands that I do love him all of the time, even when I don’t like what he does.
1 comment:
It has to start somewhere and they quickly learn that we do love them ALL the time just not all of their ways.
Post a Comment